The different types of cases in family court

the different types of cases in family court

Family law is the branch of laws that deals with cases involving family matters and domestic disputes. The clauses of family law are very different from that of civil and criminal law. An experienced family law attorney has an in-depth understanding of how family law works, and can prepare a strong case and represent their clients facing family legal problems in a family court.

The different types of cases in family court




When a couple decides to dissolve their marriage, there are various things to be sorted out. They need to arrive at an agreement to share debts and assets. If they have kids, they must decide who gets their custody. When a divorcing couple is unable to reach at an agreement, they can file a case in a family court. The statues of family law define the rules of asset distribution, child custody, and spousal and child support.


Any person who wants to change their name can do so by filing a petition with the court. The petition should be filed in the county where the person lives. There are different requirements depending on whether the name change is for an adult or for a child.

Requirements for a Name Change

For Adults:

  • You must list your current name, the new name you wish to take, and the reasons for the change.
  • You must disclose any felony convictions to the court.
  • Must publish a notice of the proposed name change one time in a newspaper in Clark County. If you believe that publishing your proposed name change would put your safety at risk, you can ask the court to waive the publication requirement.

For Children:

  • A parent must apply for a name change on behalf of a child.
  • If a child is age 14 or older, the child must consent to the name change.
  • The parents must explain the child’s current name, new name requested, and the reasons for the change.
  • Usually, both parents must consent to a child’s name change.

Any parent who will not consent to the name change must be served with copies of the papers asking for the child’s name change.  That parent can object to the name change.

After a Name Change:

Getting a court order for a name change does not automatically change your name with government agencies, banks, the DMV, etc. After you get your court order, you will need to contact each office to change your name.  Most will want to see a certified copy of the name change order before changing your name on their records.


One of the debatable issues in a divorce case is child custody! When a couple isn’t able to decide who will have the child, the court must intervene. The family courts that work on a child custody case consider multiple aspects like the child’s requirements, parent’s income, the parent’s mental health, and the like to provide the best decision.


The family law comes with multiple clauses concerning adoption! The rules got added to make sure that the adopted child gets the best upbringing. When an individual or a couple decides for child adoption, they need to agree with these rules. The process involves paperwork and can have delays. If people want to make sure that they are getting the process correct, individuals and couples should appoint a family law attorney.


In domestic violence cases, victims who feel threatened and have concerns that the aggressor may try to harm them physically can file a petition in the court appealing it to pass a restraining order. The restraining order can be temporary or permanent depending on the circumstances. Restraining orders limit the aggressor’s contact with the aggrieved party. If the aggressor violates the restraining order, the victim can have them arrested.


Family court oversees all matters where there are allegations of child abuse, child neglect, or where minors are accused of participating in illegal behavior. These matters are largely handled by the district attorney juvenile division. The family court can also approve work permits for minors under the age of 14.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.